Travel & out-of-pocket reimbursement
Travel reimbursements must be submitted in Chrome River. Please see the IU Travel Management Services homepage for details regarding Chrome River Travel. Please see the UITS Chrome River Travel Procedures for additional information.
As of 8/17/20, a Pre-Approval module has been added to Chrome River. This new module contains the Pre-Approval (PA) report which will be required for all university-sponsored travel. This replaces the Travel Approval Request form, which is no longer needed. Please review the Submitting and Tracking a Pre-Approval Report procedure for detailed information on executing this process. Do not travel on IU business without an approved Travel Pre-Approval report.
Additionally, Travel Management Services has now mandated the use of IU Designated Travel Agencies. The use of these agencies for booking airfare, hotels, and rental vehicles (when IU motor pool is not an option) is now required. Out of pocket reimbursement of travel expenses that could be booked through an IU Designated Travel Agency are not allowed and will not be reimbursed unless special circumstances require an approved exception, which must be granted before travel occurs.
Non-Travel Related Out of Pocket Reimbursements
Employee out-of-pocket reimbursements must be submitted in Chrome River. Please see the IU Purchasing - Reimbursement page for details regarding employee out-of-pocket reimbursements.
- Out of Pocket reimbursements are only allowable when IU standard procurement processes utilizing BUY.IU or a PCard are unsuitable. These situations should be extremely infrequent.
- Out of Pocket reimbursements must comply with Accountable Plan rules and requirements, per IU policy.
- Items restricted from PCard purchase (Restricted Items List) and all additional items restricted from purchase per IU policy are also unallowable for out of pocket reimbursement.
Chrome River expense reports should be submitted within 30 days following the related travel or date of out-of-pocket expense. Expense reports submitted after 120-364 days have passed will require written justification explaining the late submission and reimbursement will likely incur income tax witholdings. Requests submitted after 365 days have passed will not be reimbursed.
Non - IU employees
Please see the Non-Employee/Non-Student Travel reimbursement processing video tutorial for Chrome River.
The following are required to complete a reimbursement in Chrome River for a traveler not employed by Indiana University:
- Expense receipts - hard copy or electronic
- Business Purpose
- Dates and times of travel
- Address for reimbursement to be mailed
- Meals provided by outside source (for per diem purposes)
When booking non-employee reservations in Egencia, the travel arranger will use their IU ID number to identify the reservation. The non-employee reservation will then be tied to the travel arranger's IU ID and Chrome River account.