Indiana University defines capital assets as equipment that has:
- Acquisition value of at least $5,000
- Useful life expectancy of one year or greater
All capital assets must be tagged with a yellow IU inventory tag upon receipt.
When a capital asset is moved, sold, traded, repurposed, or discarded, the asset must be updated within the timeframe required by University Policy. Please see the UITS Capital Asset Location Management Procedure for further details and helpful links. When the location of a capital asset has changed, please contact the UITS Capital Asset Supervisor immediately via phone: (812) 855-2881 or email: email@example.com.
If you need assistance with or have questions regarding a capital asset, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital asset equipment loan
Capital Assets taken off IU premises for longer than 30 days require initiation of an equipment loan document prior to their relocation off campus. To initiate this loan document please contact email@example.com. The UITS Capital Asset team will then assist you with processing the proper equipment loan documentation required by the Off-Premise Capital Equipment Control policy.
Please direct any questions regarding this notification to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IT testing of mobile devices
Some staff members must use mobile devices for business purposes. In those cases, employees should continually test mobile devices to ensure fully functioning, safe, and secure integration with UITS technology.
When testing these devices, UITS staff are exempt from the IU mobile devices and Internet access policy I-480. Instead, staff can follow the following procedure for acquiring testing devices:
- Submit proposal to the Associate Vice President (AVP) of the business unit and include:
- Test purpose
- Test duration
- Contact person for test device(s)
- If approved at the AVP level, forward the proposal to the UITS Fiscal Officer
- Each year, the Vice President for Information Technology (VPIT) and the Fiscal Officer must approve the issuance of testing devices before the device is purchased
- After VPIT approval, forward the email to the UITS Finance Office
- Contact email@example.com to set up service and order equipment
Note: Do not use a procurement card to purchase equipment or set up service without advance approval from the UITS Finance Office.
If the test has finished, the device can be transferred to a staff member for business use. This individual can apply for supplemental pay to cover service use.
All exceptions to policy must be approved by the Vice President of Information Technology. The Finance Office also must conduct an annual review of the business purposes and associated costs for test devices.